Jefferson's Spirit

 


moon phases
 

 

Donate Weapons of Mass Destruction
FastCounter by bCentral
the-Insight.com - religion/christianity/catholic www.blogwise.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Jefferson's Spirit!


powered by Bloglet

6/26/2003

 
| It's Nice to Be Important, But It's More Important to Be Nice



One of my favorite sayings is “The graveyard is full of irreplaceable people.”

How is that for perspective?

If you are anything like me, you spend a great deal of your life fretting over how important you are and how the world would probably spin off its axis into oblivion if anything were to happen to interfere with your busy and important schedule.

However, during the few moments of the day when I am completely honest with myself I know the truth:

I am not as important, special and terminally unique as I think I am.

Basically I am just another guy trying to make his way in the world and except for the select group of people who actually care about me, I am completely replaceable.

As are you, dear reader, as are you.

Does this mean I should just give up trying to do good things?

No – it’s just the opposite. It means I should not take myself so seriously when I am trying to do good. I should do good things simply for that reason – because it is the right thing to do.

I should stop doing things for praise – because fame is fleeting.

And in the end fame is completely unimportant.

Comments: Post a Comment