Jefferson's Spirit

 


moon phases
 

 

Donate Weapons of Mass Destruction
FastCounter by bCentral
the-Insight.com - religion/christianity/catholic www.blogwise.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Jefferson's Spirit!


powered by Bloglet

5/03/2003

 
|

Keep the Faith



This is one of my favorite paintings.  It is L'Angelus by Jean-Francois Millet.  It is located in the Musee d'Orsay in Paris. 


The painting shows two poor farm workers taking time out in the afternoon to say a prayer.  If you look closely in the background you can see a church steeple -- that is probably tolling .  You can tell these two people are not well to do; their clothes are ragged.  It appears they are in the middle of hard, manual labor.  It is just my hunch, but I bet they do not have the easiest of lifes.  Yet, they take time out to pray and give thanks.


Why would they do that?  They certainly have good reason not to give thanks.  God doesn't seem to be treating them very well; yet they show respect and honor to him.  Why?


I am always amazed that people can keep faith in something even when it seems pointless to do so.  I have heard it said that if faith were easy, it wouldn't be faith.  I guess that is true.


I struggle with the concept of faith in many areas of my life.


I think that this painting is beautiful.  It shows the beauty of faith. 


Comments: Post a Comment