Jefferson's Spirit

 


moon phases
 

 

Donate Weapons of Mass Destruction
FastCounter by bCentral
the-Insight.com - religion/christianity/catholic www.blogwise.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Jefferson's Spirit!


powered by Bloglet

4/18/2003

 
| “I’ve seen better days,
I’ve been the star of many plays. . .”


Today is Good Friday. I am not “religious” in the Church sense of the word, but I think the Bible tells some interesting stories –and some great lessons. The story of Good Friday is my favorite.

Let’s be honest. It was a bad day for Jesus. And I like that. For the majority of the Gospels, Jesus is either performing some fantastic miracle or teaching some incredible lesson. He is being, well, Godlike. He is making some great wine, curing lepers, raising people from the dead, walking on water; you name it Jesus is doing it. I can’t relate to that.

But on Good Friday he was being human for a change.

After the last supper he takes some of his posse’ and heads over to Gethsemane. It is here that Jesus loses it and has, of all things, a panic attack. How incredibly human!

He tells his friends:

My soul is crushed with grief to the point of death. . . (Just a little bit depressed, huh?)

And he prays to his Dad:

Everything is possible for you. Please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will, not mine.

It is the fact that Jesus is so scared that makes Good Friday so meaningful for me. If he was all “Christlike” and holy about the fact he was going to be put to death by being spiked to a tree, I don’t think I would care that much.

Jesus was terrified. Yet he followed through and accomplished what was expected of him. His destiny was to die. And not just die, but die a painful, slow and humiliating death.

I will leave the whole “rising from the dead” thing for the religious folk. But Good Friday tells me that even Jesus Christ had some pretty terrible days. And despite being scared, he went ahead, rolled up his sleeves and went to work.

The story does a lot for me. I am going to have my fair share of personal “Good Fridays.” I will panic, suffer and freak out. But I hope that despite the discomfort I can find enough courage to carry on.

Life is never going to be easy, but there is no excuse for not trying to do the right thing.

I hope I never forget that.

Comments: Post a Comment